State Tourism Achievement Recognition (STAR) Awards
The OACVB STAR Awards (“State Tourism Achievement Recognition”) honor outstanding efforts by Ohio Convention & Visitor Bureaus in their work to market and promote their area destinations and to generate overall awareness of the tourism industry. Recipients will be honored for their innovation, creativity, effectiveness and impact in travel and tourism marketing and advertising.
Entries will be accepted beginning September 25, 2018. All entries will be due October 25, 2018.
Awards will be presented at the OACVB President’s Luncheon on Thursday, November 15, 2018. The Luncheon will be held at Martini’s Modern Italian at 445 N. High St. in Columbus.
STAR Awards will be issued in three (3) Annual Marketing Budget categories:
- $0 – $50,000
- $50,001 – $200,000
- $200,001 and above
“Annual Marketing Budget” is defined by any non-personnel budget items related to the promotion or creation of marketing materials for your business.
Categories for submission include:
|Print Communications||Marketing Campaigns||Web-Based Marketing|
|Visitor Guides||Marketing Campaign||Website|
|Brochure/Flyer/Rack Card||Commercial/Video||Social Media Campaign|
A new category for submission: DMO Advocacy
Finally, in the spirit of “we all learn from our own mistakes,” two new FREE categories have been added (i.e., no entry fee required):
- Epic Fail
- Best Giveaway or Promotional Item
For a definition of each category, click here.
The STAR Awards are open to all current members of the OACVB in good standing (i.e., all dues must be paid in full by August 31, 2018*). *NOTE: Members who are in prior agreements to provide monthly dues payments to OACVB and who are current in their monthly payments are considered to be current and in good standing.
All entries must promote tourism or destination marketing, whether distributed internationally, nationally, regionally or locally.
Requirements for Entry
Entries must have been newly produced and appeared, aired or been published between August 1, 2017 and July 31, 2018.
Entries must be new designs or publications produced during the entry year period and must not have been entered in previous MIDDY Award competitions. (To constitute a “new” design, more than 60% of the content of the entry must be new.)
A CVB may submit as many entries in each category as desired. An entry may be submitted in more than one category, provided that it is explicitly noted as such, is accompanied by a separate inventory sheet for each category entered, and includes submission of a separate entry fee for each category entered.
Entry fee is $35 per entry (unless otherwise noted). All fees must be submitted with entry. Please make check payable to Ohio Association of Convention & Visitor Bureaus. If submitting an entry by email only, you may pay online here or mail your check to:
41 S High St, Ste 2400
Columbus, OH 43215
Deadline for submission of entries for the STAR Awards is Thursday, October 25, 2018. All entries (with supporting materials and entry fees) must be received on or before the deadline date.
How to Enter
Click HERE to submit your entry. You must be an active member of OACVB and must be logged in to your OACVB account. If you have trouble logging in, please contact the OACVB State Office or email@example.com.
SELECTION OF AWARDS
The competition will be judged by a team of experts from the fields of communications, advertising, marketing/public relations and/or tourism and will draw from outside of the OACVB membership. No judge will be permitted to evaluate an entry that is submitted by a CVB for which his or her company has performed marketing work.
Judges will select a “First Place” award in each category. OACVB reserves the right to not issue an award in any category where the judges conclude that the quality of work submitted does not merit recognition. OACVB also reserves the right to award a “tie” in any category. Categories must receive at least two entries in order to be submitted for review and judging.
Judges will evaluate entries based upon the following criteria:
- Relevance – What is the objective of the entry? To what audience is the entry directed? Does the entry effectively relate to/impact the intended audience?
- Differentiation – Does the entry separate itself from others and how? Does the entry clearly identify a unique proposition unlike its competition?
- Action/Execution – How well does the entry promote the service/product in issue? Is there an understood “call to action”? How clearly was the “next step” communicated?
- Result – How well did the entry meet its stated objective? Does the entry have impact/stopping power? If results from the piece are still being measured, are there preliminary results to share or is there a plan to measure success?
Please direct questions to: Molly Hunter, OACVB, at (614) 241-2226 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Final Checklist for Submitting a STAR Award Entry:
When submitting your entry/entries, please review the checklist below to ensure that you have included the following:
- Start on this page: STAR Awards 2018 Entry & Fee Payment
Enter your contact information, then add each entry (click the Add Another Entry button to enter more than one entry)
- Submit Payment by Credit Card or Check.
- Continue to Star Awards 2018 Step Two: Entry Detail & File Upload
Please have your files ready to upload before you begin. Enter your project’s Category, Entry Title, Budget, Situational Analysis, Marketing Objectives, Target Audience, Execution, and Results.
- If the entry is being submitted via hard copy, be sure the entry is labeled on the back with:
- Entry Category
- Budget Category
- Name of CVB
- Entry Title
- If the entry is being submitted electronically, please make sure to include all necessary links or PDF forms.
- Mail your check and hard copies of your entries, if applicable, to:
41 S. High St, Ste 2400
Columbus, OH 43215
- We prefer electronic submission through the form, but you may also email entries to Molly Hunter at email@example.com.
- An entry is complete only after fees are paid for each entry and the entry is received electronically or by postal mail in the OACVB State Office by the October 25 deadline.